Friday, December 11, 2009

Looking For War Against Christmas In All The Wrong Places

One night at the bookstore, customer says to me "Merry Christmas" and I say "And a very happy Christmas to you."

"Don't you mean MERRY Christmas?" he asks.

I smile and say "Certainly sir, a very merry Christmas to you."

"What, they won't let you say CHRISTMAS in this store?" he asks.

"I did say Christmas," I reply. "Twice."

"Yeah, but the store doesn't really WANT you to say Christmas!" he said. "Everyone's AFRAID to say CHRISTMAS!"

I point to a large sign right behind me hanging above my head. In large red letters, it reads "MERRY CHRISTMAS."

"I don't think that's a problem here," I say with a smile. "We even have a selection of gift cards that say 'Merry Christmas' right on them - and a wide variety of Christmas books. Would you like to see them?"

"Go to HELL!" he said.

1 comment:

Justin said...

This did not happen. Well, at least not such succinctly memorable dialogue as you phrase it here. But I'm not bitching, just saying with a wink, "I see what you did there." Keep it up, I do the same thing.

FWIW, I'd have handled it the same way.